In the middle of March, we are normally looking forward to transitioning from Base Training to Building Endurance and Race Preparation. This year, we are facing a much more uncertain path to an uncertain season. So many of us in triathlon and cycling have been focusing on a goal and we now find some of those race goals also in question. What do we do? We adapt and we keep going, that's what we do. We take the long view and hope for the best for 2020 and adapt to a longer-term focus, focus on 2021 and focus on our health.
Here's our list of 10 things we can all try to keep moving, keep fit and keep sane:
1. Keep doing what you can. If gyms are closed, you can still get in a good core and strength conditioning workout at home. Use the social part of social media to connect with your friends and your communities. Start a challenge for your group, something training related, maybe a 7-day challenge. There are tons of options: 7 hours of riding in 7 days, 7-day push-up challenge, come up with a series of challenges, tasks are goals so you don't run out of things to do.
2. Adapt your goals to fit the circumstances. There's more to triathlon and cycling than the race season. There are lots of other reasons to train so focus on some of those:
3. Don't overlook your bike. Even if you are riding inside, it will still require ongoing maintenance and protection from sweat and electrolyte drinks.
4. Take your training outside if and when you can. Cycling & running are sports that can continue uninterrupted as long as weather conditions allow.
5. Meetup on Zwift. I am riding on Zwift and will be setting up Meetups with friends for a Sunday longer ride. Even if people want to ride at a different pace, at least we'll have gotten together for the start. Eventually, I'll figure out how to use the voice-to-text app so we can chat.
6. Support local and small businesses like ours. We're here to support your ride whether you are racing or training, whether you are riding inside or out. We welcome you in our store and we are taking extra steps and precautions in our store to ensure a clean and safe environment for you. If you have any specific concerns, please reach out to us by text message, phone or email and we can work through them with you. If you spend more time on your bike, your bike will need some extra love. We can work with you to keep it in good working order so it's always ready for your next workout.
7. We are offering a bike mechanic concierge service for our Edmonton and area customers who prefer to stay home and avoid all but essential shopping trips. Contact us by phone, email or text and we will arrange a time and location to pick-up and drop-off your bike. If you are travelling from out of town and need to arrange bike maintenance, we can work with
8. Online shopping? Make sure you check out our new website. We're still at www.elementsport.ca but we've added tons of sport-inspired casuals and accessories, many of which are only available online. Tees, jewelry, shoes, bags, mugs - you're sure to find something that inspires.
9. Spend time on other hobbies if you find you have more time on your hands and you are one those people who can't sit still for long.
10. And here's one I'm not sure I dare to try: Dance like no one is watching. And if you are self-isolating and spending more time at home, you know no one is watching.
Comments will be approved before showing up.