Spring Tune-Up Fact Sheet
You’ve probably brought your bike in for a tune up once or twice or more times but do really know what we’re doing with your precious possession? Yes, I know there are quite a few of you who are pretty sure what we do but, quite honestly, before I started working here, I really didn’t know. It rode a little quieter and smoother when I got it back, but I couldn’t have listed more that a few things that had happened while we were separated. This article is for those of you, like me, who were too busy, shy, oblivious or nervous about asking: What’s in a bike tune up?
Not All Bike Maintenance Is Equal
We offer 3 levels of service: Minor, Regular and Major. Another store I’ve seen online also offers 3 levels of service they refer to as Minor, Major and Complete Overhaul. The words on their own don’t tell you what you’re getting but sometimes the rate does. I can tell you that our “Regular” tune up at close to the same rate as the other shop’s “Major” tune-up but in terms of what you get, our “Regular” tune-up covers most of the work they perform in a “Major” tune-up. What I’m saying here is that not all service levels will be clear based on descriptive names and rates. Look or ask for what you’re getting for different levels of service if it’s not clear.
What’s Included in Element’s Regular Tune-Up?
We start by taking your bike into the bike wash bay and giving it a thorough cleaning to clean off any dirt, oil, old grease and lube and accumulated sweat off your bike.
While the bike is in the bike wash bay and then on the bike stand, your bike is elevated to give our mechanic the best vantage point to do a thorough inspection. Here’s what happens next:
- Check cassette, chainrings and derailleurs are checked for wear, damage and alignment.
- Check chain for wear and stretching.
- Inspect brakes for wear and grip.
- Check tires for wear levels and damage like cracks, nicks, tears or swelling.
- Check and adjust tension on all cables.
- Check integrity of cable housing.
- Check alignment of frame and wheels.
- Check spoke tension and perform minor tune if needed.
- Check headset for unwanted movement.
- Tighten nuts & bolts to correct tension.
- Apply the appropriate lube and protection to drive train and frameset.
You're Back In The Saddle And Sitting Pretty
I can’t tell you how many times people come to pick up their bikes and ask if it has new tires or wonder how we got it so clean. We want you to fall in love with your bike all over again.
Other Frequently Requested Services: Minor Tune-Up
We have some customers who are very dedicated to keeping their bikes in premium working condition and they bring their bikes in often for maintenance. Because we see some of these bikes so frequently, they often don’t have so many miles in between visits and there isn't a lot of accumulated wear and tear. If your bike it is pretty great shape, a minor tune-up might be all you need. A complete cleaning, inspection of drive train and components and follow-up with application of appropriate lube and protection to drivetrain and components and you are set.
Sometimes, you need something special. Here’s a shortlist of a few other things that keep our bike service department humming
- Bike packing or unpacking for travel
- Diagnostic and repair services as needed – Sometimes, stuff happens and you need a bike doctor to perform some major surgery or magic. We’re here when you need us, of course.
- Bike fit
- Bike saddle selection
- Bike customization